Friday, March 8, 2013

Lemon Glazed Doughnuts

There's something that happens to me when my hubby goes on tour for long periods of time.  I get baking.  I want/NEED/crave sweet comfort foods.  That's why you saw the orange cake so recently and now you're seeing doughnuts.  I just need that extra something.  (Honey, COME HOME!) Yes, I will still eat my big salad for breakfast, and I will eat my veggies when dinner comes, but somehow, some way, I'm gonna hafta find a way to muscle down a few of these precious gems.  Hey, it's Friday.. I'm up for a challenge!  (In truth, I just made these so I had to sample, and eat off the extra edges, and quality check!  Baking is soooo hard!!)

These are super duper crazy easy.  If you don't have a doughnut maker of some sort, then I imagine you could muffin-ize these and pour the glaze over top.  Or bake it in a loaf and call it bread.  I haven't done this because I do have a doughnut maker.  I suppose you'd just follow the general baking way...350 degree oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Feel free to post about what you did if you do it this way.  Deal?  Good.

Lemon Glazed Doughnuts

Ingredients:
For the doughnuts:
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp  baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp poppy seeds
6 T honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
3 eggs

For the glaze:
1/3 cup warmed coconut butter
2 T honey
3 T lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat your doughnut machine/oven.

In a large bowl, combine all of the doughnut ingredients.  Make sure you mix it well.
Once your doughnut maker/oven is ready, get the batter baking.  If using a machine, fill up the cute little doughnut cups and then close it.  Since you're using almond flour, they might start to brown faster than your standard batter.  I check mine after a couple of minutes, and usually I have to flip them (the bottom browns faster) and then keep the lid open for another minute while they finish.  I think this batter made about 24 doughnuts...but I lost count because I kept eating them...

In a small bowl, mix up your glaze ingredients.  If you feel your glaze is too thick, feel free to thin it out with some water.  Drizzle, spoon or brush your glaze over your doughnuts, or simply pick them up and give them a happy dunk in the bowl.  The glaze will firm up once cooled, so you can pop them in the fridge or the freezer, or your mouth if you don't care about firm glaze.  That's what I did.

Have a fantastic weekend!!

3 comments:

  1. Paleo Doughnuts! Can't wait! Ps...why does FreshGirl have a doughnut maker?? ;-) heehee I kid. I'm so glad she does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only bought a donut maker after discovering recipes for paleo donuts! pretty silly...but we are really enjoying it. i only make donuts a couple times a year, but all in all, it's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete