Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sweet Orange Cake

Happy, happy Sunday to you all! I can feel myself slowly emerging from my involuntary winter cocoon. After all, it's March. The sun is starting to get up when I do, and hopefully behind us are the freezing temperatures and piles of snow and ice. (I'm not going to hold my breath...I live in Minnesota, after all. The super good stuff doesn't get here until May/June.) I can almost make it back to my garage without the fear of certain death from a bad slip on the ice.  Almost.  Maybe someday the sidewalks will be walkable too.  Thrilling times!

I'm super excited because it's Brunch Sunday.  I LOVE brunch.  Did I ever tell you that?  I do.  I make brunch pretty much every Sunday.  It's all about bacon, mostly.  And a few muffins or sweet breads.  Actually, it's a ton of different yummy things and bacon.  (All Paleo, of course!) I always make too much.  Today is different.  Today I'm going out to brunch with a friend.  Not only will I get to indulge in wonderful brunch-like substances, but I won't have to lift a finger.  Ahhh...the pampered life!

I did wake up early though, and made a quick cake.  It's really gorgeous...dense, sweet and moist.  This cake is very similar to something you would get at Starbucks, except it is made from whole foods, no gluten, and the sweetness comes from honey and fresh squeezed orange.  So it's a little nicer on your body when you indulge.

Sweet Glazed Orange Cake 

Cake Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
zest and juice from 2 oranges + enough coconut milk to bring OJ level to 1 cup
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger (optional)

Glaze Ingredients:
2 T coconut oil
2 T honey
2 T coconut milk
zest and juice from 1 orange
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of ground ginger

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine all cake ingredients together well in a medium bowl.  Pour into a greased pan and bake 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and the middle is cooked through.  After about 30 minutes, check your cake.  If it's getting too brown, but the middle isn't ready, cover with foil for the duration of time.  Let cool.

While the cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients in a small pot.  Turn on low heat until it starts to simmer.  Remove from heat and let cool while your cake is busy cooking and cooling.  Once cake is cooled, pour glaze all over the top, getting every last bit of it on the cake.  It's the best part!  Refrigerate 1 hour.  Keep stored in the fridge, although it won't last long!

Important note: this cake was inspired by this post.  She has tons of great ideas, so you really ought to check her site out.

No comments:

Post a Comment